Friday, September 4, 2009

Welcome to the World Son, Adam

Hello Son,

I love you. It has been a fast, rewarding, challenging year to me. I have always enjoyed a quality challenge throughout my life and boy, let me tell you - you are the best one yet. I get a little choked-up, nostalgic as I reflect back on this year of staying home with you and raising you with your mom. Your mother is the best person I know on this earth. She is selfless, loving, patient, accepting, strong, determined and most beautiful and attractive women to me. You will learn we all make certain sacrifices to achieve greatness and your mother has given me the opportunity to teach you life. Her sacrifice is time (the greatest sacrifice), so that we may afford to function as a unit, as a family.

These writings will be specifically about my feelings, experiences, my learning's of spending time with you and raising you to become a man. This may come to surprise you, but I do not know it all. I am learning everyday. My advantage however is my awareness of observation and ability to anticipate your actions. But again, as I mentioned, I learn everyday. We will teach each other - and I am excited for you and your future to come. You will feel joy, anger, pain and peace. As parents our inclination is to protect you in every way, but if we interfere how will you learn, how will you experience the power of emotion and control and grow. Life is a gift and life's greatest purpose is to allow you choice - that is your freedom as a being. Your mom and I will provide you direction and your opportunity will be to guide your own path. Niiiiiice.

My goal in raising you is for you to be happy, independent, responsible, intelligent and aware. My PROMISE to you is to demonstrate those qualities and many more through leading by example. So, may my actions speak louder than my words "walk the talk" so to speak. I will always be within reach physically or spiritually. You will always have my strength within you. You CAN do anything - choice - that is your freedom, be wise. Think all things through, your actions and reactions. Reflect on mistakes you make in order to prevent recurrences. Life is an ongoing lesson to learn from. It is through our mistakes that we educate and even find ourselves. Preferably learning from others mistakes will save you a lot of time and grief. The best things in life take time and are rarely ever rushed, so be patient - learn to read the trends. One day at a time is a good pace "live in the moment". PREPARE for the worst, but EXPECT the best.

Dad's not the best at "time-management", so expect clumps of time to pass between my logs' input. Please forgive me for that. But perhaps that only means I found better use of my time... with you and your mother, because that is the BEST use of my time. I am proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment